Frequently Asked Questions
Return your completed absentee ballot EARLY before Election Day. The main reason returned absentee ballots are not counted is because they are returned too late, after the deadline.
- Hand-deliver the completed ballot personally to drop boxes at Fairfax County early voting locations when they are open or at any polling location on Election Day (November 3) from 6 am to 7 pm.
- If you choose to use the U.S. Postal Service, allow a minimum of 2 weeks for delivery of your completed ballot.
Minimize risk when casting your ballot.
- Vote Early at any time during the 45-day early voting season so you can pick the time when you are able, and when the weather and other conditions are fine.
- Plan to vote before Election Day so that if conditions change, there’s always another day to vote. Election Day is the LAST day to vote.
- Track your mailed ballot status so you can take action if you suspect your absentee ballot will not arrive in time for you to return it by the deadline.
No. However, you have options on what to do:
- Return your completed mailed ballot:
- Normally by mail as soon as possible. Don't wait!
- By dropping it off at drop boxes at the early voting locations when they are open or at any Fairfax County polling location on November 3rd from 6 am - 7 pm.
- To the General Registrar's office (12000 Government Center Parkway Suite 323, Fairfax, VA 22035)
- Exchange your absentee ballot for a new ballot and cast your vote normally at any early voting location or your normal polling location on Election Day.
Go to an early voting location if you can. You will be able to vote normally after signing a statement.
If that is not an option, go to your normal polling location on election day. They will have you vote provisionally. While the electoral board has sole authority on whether your vote counts, they typically accept provisional ballots for those who did not return their absentee ballot by mail.
Drop boxes offer a secure way to deliver your completed mailed ballots on time so your vote will be counted without using the U.S. Mail. In Fairfax County, drop boxes will be available at all early voting locations when they are open and at all Fairfax County polling locations from 6 am - 7 pm on November 3.
Drop boxes will be continuously observed by an Election Officer when they are available. The drop boxes will be outside of the room where regular voting occurs or near the building entrance.
Problems or Concerns?
Stay at the polling location and call the Voter Protection Hotline
Or ask a poll observer for assistance.